While we were away we discovered a reality show called “Dance Moms”.
It’s a high drama hour where film crews follow a dance teacher and her group of competition dance girls
and, of course, their mums.
When I say high drama, I mean it.
I loved it!
As it turns out, many of my friends watch it and I am behind the eight ball.
At home we’ve watched the whole of the first season and downloading the second as I type
but it got me to thinking,
what if we pitched a new reality show called
This could be where I and several other consulting mothers could make our millions.
It would of course be a high drama reality program where film crews would follow mothers who frequent the wards of local children’s hospitals.
There would be the crying mothers (I’m a crier. I could totally relate)
and there would be the argumentative mothers.
Arguing with the doctors,
arguing with the nurses,
heck, they could even argue with each other because one had spent too much time in the small kitchenette microwaving three day old Chinese food
or arguing because someone ‘stole’ someone else’s shower cubicle.
There could be extensive behind the scenes interviews with the above ‘characters’ all bagging each other out
and throughout it all there could be a running theme,
where the mothers could be in some sort of competition with each other
as to who can out do who in the flannelette PJ stakes
as they roam the corridors at night looking for vending machines.
Of course we would totally avoid the real life issues that concern the parents of sick children
that’s just not interesting enough.
Other ideas that the executive team have come up with could include;
* the drunk mum who uses hospital as a babysitting service so she can have a night out on the town
* the privately insured mum who thinks she should be treated like royalty in a public hospital,
* the crazy, haven’t slept for five days, mum who sits in a corner and rocks, laughing maniacally to herself
* the mum who doesn’t observe visiting hours and invites fifteen family members in at 8pm at night into a four bedder room
and then wonders why the nurses get so cranky.
*The competitive mum who has the sickest kid on the ward no matter what
and ‘doctor’ mum who tells the doctors they have no idea what they are talking about.
There would be one very attractive, very charismatic doctor that all the hospital mums will lust over
except for the long term mothers, who have seen it all before
and instead stand in the corridor together and roll their eyes.
I think it would be an instant hit and we should pitch it as soon as possible.
Coming to your favourite TV channel soon.
* disclaimer; this is a tongue in cheek view of hospital mums. No characters are based on real life people *cough* and to all our American friends – in Australia private health insurance is not compulsory, so please don’t take offence to the reference of that.